General Information for Intending Visitors
All people wishing to travel to Papua New Guinea for work, business, study or tourism purposes must have an entry permit/Visa to enter the country. Visas can be obtained from your nearest PNG diplomatic mission and issued for single or multiple entries depending on the purpose of the visit.
Visa on arrival is only available to eligible foreign nationals and under specific circumstances at Port Moresby’s Jacksons International Airport and Tokua (Rabaul) International Airport. To see whether you are eligible to apply for a tourist or business visa on arrival, please click here.
- However, please note that visa on arrival has been temporarily suspended since March, 2020 due to Covid 19 pandemic measures. It has been still suspended as of October, 2023. Therefore, please obtain visa before the departure.
How To Apply
All Applicants must:
- Complete and sign the correct Application Form
- Attach one passport size photograph (for APEC Business Card Applicants and Permanent Residence Applicants please provide two photos)
- Pay the required fee (Cash only)
- Provide any other documentary information as requested (refer to the appropriate entry category).
- Submit your application to the nearest PNG Diplomatic Mission* together with your valid
Passports should be valid for at least 6 months from the date of intended travel.
Visa counter is open from 10:00 – 12:00, and from 14:00-15:00 on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday (Except for Japan & PNG National Holidays).
(Visa pick-up hours: 14:00~15:00 on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday.)
Standard processing time is about one week. A decision on your application is expected to be finalised by the following day of your application.
Certain applications may require longer processing time.
※Papua New Guinea Embassy in Tokyo is not accepting a postal application, thank you for your understanding.